Monday, November 14, 2011

Yeah, That Happened to Me

     On my way to church yesterday morning I was thinking about my blog, and how I should start a 'series' of stuff, instead of just random things. I ended up coming to the conclusion that I should call them 'Yeah, That Happened to Me', because I had this one story that I just crack up at every time I think about it. And I'm sure as I go on, I'll have  many more stories to tell(:


Enjoy(:




     Before we moved to Oklahoma I  was looking at the map, and noticed a place called Slapout. Yes, that IS the real name.It was pretty close to the panhandle on the Southern side. Well for a long time I had told people what little I knew about Oklahoma's geography,  "..there was a place called Slapout near the panhandle.. blah blah blah."
A few months ago I was at my Bestie's Birthday party.  There were a few people that had come from our Church ( But they had to leave early) and there were some people from another church in Bixby. Her Nana and Papa, Aunt and cousins were there too.
I was sitting at a picnic with three kids from the other church, and her Papa. My Bestie and the only other girl from our church had gone to take her presents to her car. So, since I didn't know the other kids, and they didn't start a conversation, I did. Our conversation went something like this:


Me: "So what kinds of things does your youth group like to do?"


"All kinds of different things you can imagine."


Me: nodding my head, "Thats cool... So I know you guys go to Church camp later in the summer, we go in June, to the camp in Talihina."


"Yeah.."


Me: "Well I bet you guys had fun! I love church camp.."


"Yeah we really did."


Me: "So, where so church camp? I only moved here last year, and I still don't have everything placed."


"Haha, well I've lived here my whole life, and I still don't have everything placed!"


Me: "That's understandable, I didn't know everywhere in South Carolina-- where I'm from. Did you know that theres a place called Slapout near the panhandle?"


"Really? I never knew that! What a weird name!"


Me: "I know right? Imagine If you lived there, it would be like, 'So where are you from?' 'Oh, I'm from Slapout!'"


My Bestie's Papa, who has been sitting here the whole time: "Have you ever been to Slapout?"


Me: "No, only heard about it.."


Papa: "I had a friend who used to live there, I grew up near there too."


*Awkward silence..


Me: nodding my head, "That's pretty cool. I never knew that."


Papa: "Yeah, It's a nice little town."


*Awkward silence... Yeah the conversation was over now, thank goodness my friends came back.




Yeah, this happened to me(:


Guess it's only fun to make fun of something when there is little to no chance of knowing someone that could be form there. Oh well. I haven't made fun of Slapout since then(:

Thanks for reading,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment